Monday, August 25, 2008

Finding Satan

I suppose that for as long as I live and can remember anything, I will remember that the first case I read in law school was "Mayo v. Satan and His Staff" in Civil Procedure class. We discussed the case some today, the first day of classes. We will continue talking about its implications tomorrow. Filed in the 1970s, the case is about a man, Mr. Mayo, who tries to proceed with a complaint against the devil for violating his civil rights.

One of the points of studying this case is to show how civil procedure operates in terms of identifying jurisdiction and serving notice upon the defendant.

I like my classes and the reading, though I'm having a hard time staying awake right now. It is just past 7 pm, and I've been going pretty much non-stop since 6 am. The early mornings are probably what I will like least about law school.

There seem to be quite a few transfers to the 2L class here. When I first arrived, I learned that last year's class was about 190 students. The administration wanted around 205, so they probably granted some transfers to try to get that number up.

205 was their goal again for this class, I believe, and we are somewhere around 240 students. This probably means that the likelihood of getting a transfer to FSU next year for 1L students at other schools is not good.

The law library here is relatively small and quiet. Most of it is a "no-talking" zone. At WCU, I used to roam the floors of Hunter Library looking for people I knew so that I could speak with them. Here, the students stay intense in their studies. I get the feeling that to walk up and start a conversation would not be as welcomed as at WCU.

I really like it here, though, and I feel like I am in my element. There are a lot of smart students at FSU College of Law, but so far at least, I think I can hang with them.

Well, I'm off to eat at the Suwannee Room Restaurant again.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: