Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where You Should Go To Law School

This time one year ago, I was very undecided about where I should go to law school (and I was fortunate enough to be accepted at multiple schools).

In the end, I narrowed my choices to Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL and North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC. I opted for FSU, but I think I would have been happy at either place, and either place has advantages and disadvantages.

Now, as I close in on the end of my first semester of law school, I think I can give better advice on where to go and what is right for a person.

Again, assuming you have choices in where to attend, the most important question to ask yourself is, "What kind of law do I want to practice?" By this question, I mean do you want to practice at a large or small firm, open your own practice, or specialize in something more unique like environmental law? One year ago, I really did not know what sort of law I wanted to do, but I leaned toward working for a large firm.

Now that I am at FSU, I know that working at a large firm for a higher salary is my first choice. The type of law I do doesn't especially matter to me (though I would prefer not to have to sue doctors and others in the health care field). The long hours and competitive environment of a large firm will suit me just fine, I believe. I love law school and the work that I am doing.

This is not true for everyone. Honestly, my colleagues who seem to be the most unhappy in law school are the ones with families. One friend of mine told me that she started crying from the frustration of having to spend so much of her Saturday reading law when she wanted to be with her husband instead. As for me, I've got nothing better to do but study on a Saturday.

I guess the point is to know yourself. If you are aiming for a large firm, go to the best school you can get into and borrow the money you need to get there. But if you want to spend more time with your family, perhaps go to a law school that is not so competitive in nature, don't take on so much debt and look for a job (perhaps public interest law) that is not going to dominate so much of your life.

If you want to open your own practice or go into practice with a friend or family member who is already established, then save money and go where you can get a Juris Doctor for the cheapest.

Also, if you definitely know what state you want to practice in after graduation, it is easier to network (i.e., applying for summer associate positions that can turn into regular job offers) if you go to a law school in that state.

So, that's my take after two and a half months of law school. NCCU would have been a good choice for me, but Florida State University gives me the best shot to get hired by a large firm. That is what I want, and I am glad that I am here.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: