Sunday, November 8, 2009

Turnover

Things were much harder and more intense for me during my first year of law school than right now, in my second year. I trust that I am still studying right, and hopefully my exam grades from this semester will not be an unhappy surprise.

One of the hardest things for me as a 2L is meeting the new 1L students.

Law school, generally speaking, is probably a little colder for a student than undergraduate school. The students in all three classes seemed to have divided into their own cliques, and you really have to put in some effort if you want to break the ice and meet new people.

What also struck me from the beginning of my 2L year is the the disappearing act of the class that graduated in May 2009. They are simply gone. I don't see any of my friends who graduated out at the law school socials anymore. They are spread to all parts of Florida or the country, and have now begun the work of repaying their student loans.

I do not know anyone from Florida State Law who graduated in say, 2006 or 2007 before I arrived. Right now, I am a constant presence in the law school library. But when I (hopefully) graduate in May 2011, I know that I will quickly be forgotten and the library will become the province of new, different students.

It's a little sad, this abrupt turnover in the law school. I'm sure there are many students who appreciate it, though. I know several 3Ls who are ready to graduate, start working, start families, and couldn't care less about meeting new 1L students. I felt that way during my senior year of college. But now that I've had some experience in the "real world," I appreciate school.

I try to keep most of my blog entries positive, and I also try to give advice now and again. I was invited to a 1L's birthday party this weekend, and met some new students there. So, here are some of my own observations about meeting people.

If you want to meet new people in law school, I'll throw out three rules that I use. Rule number one: Be assertive. Don't be afraid to be the first to speak. Don't just look at the person you want to meet and smile. Rule number two: Once you've made the first assertive move, then back off. Let them respond to you. If they do not seem receptive to talking to you, then let it go. Rule number three: Keep speaking to people. If you don't keep acknowledging the new people you've met, your efforts will dissolve and it will become like they never knew you.

Okay, I know this is just common sense and it is nothing that will sell any "self-help" books. But I find that constantly trying to meet new people, to stay interested in what is new, is a healthy habit to have.

***

Hurray for The House! They have passed the landmark "Affordable Health Care for America Act." Now it is on for a tough fight in the Senate. Write your senators (both of them), tell them your health care stories, and how important it is that they pass this bill.

No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

1 comment:

Bucky C. said...

Hadn't checked in in you in a while. Looks like things are going well. You've got some folks in West Texas wishing you the best always, of course! :)