Saturday, January 30, 2010

Orlando and a Mock Trial Competition

Last week in Orlando, I competed in my first Mock Trial competition against other schools. During the fall semester, I participated in an intramural competition, and last year at this time I had just completed tryouts for the team.

Overall, I was pleased with my performance. Florida State sent two teams to the competition. Out of 20 overall teams, one of Florida State's made the top four. Unfortunately, my team did not make it that far. It was still a great learning and confidence boosting experience.

Congratulations to Alex Weaver, Bradley Bodiford, Kerven Montfort, and Ryan Hoyle for advancing to the semifinals.

I learned a couple of things by watching these guys in action in the semifinal round: Some Mock Trial members absolutely play better than they practice. These guys really stepped up when it was game time and came through in the clutch. Alex Weaver showed me how you "impeach" a witness to perfection. Ryan and Alex's objections were spot-on as well. They caught the other team in numerous errors.

After it was over, we had an afternoon and an evening to enjoy Orlando before we headed back to school. I'd never been to Disney World before, and so we spent the evening walking around "Downtown Disney."

Disney World is not like I imagined it. The place is larger than many towns, and it has its own highway system similar to an interstate with exits. I expected it to be one large theme park with everything crammed together. On the contrary, though, when we first entered the gates, we drove on roads with nothing around us but trees and open grassland. You had to take separate exits to get to the Magic Kingdom, the Epcot Center, Downtown Disney, etc.

Downtown Disney was all we had time to see. I ate a great dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. The inside of the restaurant was like a jungle with moving animals and hundreds if not thousands of green plants. Every 20 minutes or so, the lights dimmed and we had a "thunderstorm" that stirred up all the animals in the restaurant. The Lego store was also impressive with its huge models of sharks, tranformers and other characters. I was never much into Legos as a kid, but it amused me to see everybody else from the team revert to children and begin playing with the Lego blocks outside the store along with toddlers and infants. Finally, one of our team members said, "Okay, time to stop. That Lego had spit on it."

Orlando is a great town from what I saw of it. It is the Florida that I envisioned upon being accepted to Florida State Law- a big sky with sunny humidity. We walked around in shorts and t-shirts at night. Though I have no complaints about Tallahassee, Florida's capital is more like south Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi than Orlando or Tampa or Miami. Tallahassee is the Deep South, with huge magnolia and oak trees covered in Spanish moss. Orlando, on the other hand, is a brightly colored, sunshine-lit playground for kids and adults from all over the country.

I enjoyed Orlando and the competition. It was both a fun and useful trip. Making the Mock Trial team and being able to obtain experiences like this is one of the best things to happen to me since I've come to Florida State Law.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: