Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Tallahassee Little Theater

Last night, I experienced another pleasant side of Tallahassee. As my friend and fellow mock trial team member, John, told me, many of us in law school have our outside interests to help keep a balance in law school. A significant number of students are marathon runners, for instance. I write a blog. John's hobby is acting, and for fun he participates in community theater.

John invited me to a production of Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution at the Tallahassee Little Theater. I went to see the show last night, and I was very impressed.

The story takes place in London in 1953. Leonard Vole, a financially strapped young man, has been charged with the murder of a wealthy older lady who befriended him. All the evidence is stacked against Leonard, and the only person who can give any support at all to his version of what happened is his "adoring..?" wife, Romaine. So the story and creative plot twists begin.

My friend had a large part in the play, beginning in the second act. He played Mr. Myers, the prosecutor. John did a great job. I recognized some of his antics and mannerisms from mock trial practice or competitions, and on more than one occasion he caused both the audience and myself to burst out in laughter. I spoke with John afterwards to tell him that I liked the performance. As exams are coming up, he was in a hurry to get out of his wig and costume, return home and continue his course outlines.

The theater building itself is quite nice. I did not count how many audience members it will hold, but it is small. There is no "bad seat" in the house, and the ceiling is shaped so that sound carries marvelously. A person on the back row of the audience could hear an articulate whisper from the stage.

Last night was an enjoyable evening. If I stay in Tallahassee long enough, I will certainly visit the Tallahassee Little Theater again. I highly recommend it. Upcoming productions include The Foreigner and Cabaret.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: