Friday, December 10, 2010

Exams, Gator Tail and a Cold Front

My fifth round of law school exams is now behind me. As exam seasons go, this time was less stressful than the other four. Most probably, it was due to experience and that I was pleased with how much I learned in studying for exams. A couple of classes came together for me more clearly over the last three weeks once I started preparing for the exam.

Still, it was a push. I remember one day this week, being in the library at a table and reading my class notes. A very bright friend of mine walked past the table. He is a fellow third year student, and on the law review. He was also in my "section" during the first year, meaning we had all of our first year classes together. You make a special bond with those students. As he walked past my table, he and I exchanged knowing looks. We'd both been through this before, and at that moment we were both in the thicket. We both knew what had to be done to be successful. He returned to his desk, and I looked back down to my notes as we continued our hours and hours of review... Now, I wait for the grades.

Before exams began, though, I took time to enjoy a huge annual event that alternates between Tallahassee and Gainesville- the football game between the Florida State Seminoles and the University of Florida Gators. Well over 80,000 people crowded into Doak Campbell Stadium on November 27th to watch the game.

At the tail gate prior to the game, I had the opportunity to taste gator tail for the first time in my life. This was not alligator meat that someone bought from the grocery store. One of my law school friends has a brother who actually went into the swamp on a fan boat and killed this gator with a bang stick.

They deep fried the meat right at the tail gate. It looked like chicken nuggets, and at first it tasted like chicken nuggets, too. After my fourth bite, though, a sort of gamey flavor covered my tongue- almost like a chemical. I was done. It was neat to try this new food, but I am also glad that they had hamburgers.

The football game itself was enjoyable, too. Florida State routed the Gators for the first time in several years. A large number of Florida State Law students were unhappy about that, though, as they spent their undergraduate years at UF...

A few days later, another new thing happened to me. I was walking back from the Suwannee Room dining hall, up Jefferson Street toward the law school. The sky had been patchy grey with clouds all day. Now it was after dark, but the weather was pleasantly warm enough to be dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. I reached the intersection of Macomb and Jefferson Streets, where the law school is. Cars were parked everywhere. Across from the law school is Leon County Civic Center, where Florida State plays its basketball games. At that moment, the men's team was taking on the #2 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes as part of the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

As I crossed the street to go into the library, a gust of frigid air struck me from out of nowhere. It suddenly became very windy, with tree limbs bending and leaves and twigs flying all over.

I realized that I had just experienced the very front edge of a cold front. This was the night of November 30th. By the next morning, the temperature had dropped drastically. I went for a run that day in ear muffs for the first time this season. On the morning of December 2nd, I had to scrape ice off of my car windows. It is still getting below freezing at night right now...

So, exams are done. I debated going out to celebrate with the first year students. I remember well what a huge relief it was to be done after both my first and second semesters of law school. But I think I will let the first years have this moment to themselves. They have their own "sections" with whom they have bonded, and I would have to work hard to match their energy level tonight, anyway.

So, it is off to North Carolina to celebrate Christmas with the family.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: