Sunday, June 12, 2011

Time to Buckle Down

Even though I am keeping up with the Kaplan syllabus for bar review fairly well, the low percentage of answers that I am getting right makes me feel guilty today about how much fun I had this weekend.

Like I said in my blog post on May 28, my new residence can be quite the social scene. Yesterday, we organized a tailgate party for the NCAA baseball super regionals. Florida State is taking on Texas A & M in a best of three games series. The winner goes to the College World Series in Omaha. I spent hours out in the sun yesterday, enjoying grilled burgers and talking to friends before we went inside the stadium to watch our team.

It was after dark when we finally packed up the grill and headed back to the house. So, I was ready to call it a day. I needed to study. But peer pressure can be tough, sometimes. My friends convinced me to go out with them to a club downtown. I think I could have said no to my guy friends, but when there is a jaw-dropping gorgeous woman with big brown eyes sitting on your couch asking you to go out with them, too... Well, I'm just not that strong.

Long story short, I finally collapsed onto my bed around 4 am last night. I'm not sure that I was fun to hang out with at the club, as I mainly just stood against the wall and people watched. But I had a good time. My friends are awesome dancers.

Also this week, my friends convinced me to play a round of golf with them at the Jake Gaither public course in Tallahassee. It was the first time in my life that I have ever set foot on a golf course. The results were better than I hoped, probably due to the golf class I took as an undergraduate years ago. The lessons on how to grip the club and what to be thinking when you hit the ball all came back to me. I met my main goal of not swinging and missing. Even better, I was pretty good out of the sand traps. Becoming good enough to use golf as the background while business gets conducted is the goal of everyone who invited me to play. My friends are already at that level, I think. It was pleasing to see that I am not that far off, either, and I was grateful for their invitation.

However, earlier this week I took a checkpoint quiz for Constitutional Law, and I am only getting 50% of the questions right. After extensive review and watching tutorial videos, I am still only getting 55-60% right. The work keeps getting piled on, too. I only got 64% of the Criminal Law/Procedure questions correct on a quiz yesterday morning, and so I have to do review exercises for that as well.

But I am up and about. It is 9:30 on a Sunday morning. This blog entry only took 20 minutes to write. Now it is time to get started and show some more discipline when it comes to having too much fun.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: