Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Coming Workout

Classes begin again August 24th, or about two weeks from now. I am looking forward to the start of law school. Though I enjoyed my first year, I will probably enjoy my second year even more.

This is because a lot of the pressure is now off of me. I've got a pretty good GPA and class rank and am in no danger of failing out of law school. My clerkship this summer with Parks & Crump has added to my confidence in my abilities to be a trial lawyer, to find a job, and possibly to open my own practice.

Even if I don't "grade into a job" through the On Campus Interview process, I have the tools to network and market myself. I will demonstrate to a law firm that I can bring value. I will find a job.

This year, my second year of law school, will be about networking and polishing my skills as a trial lawyer. I will work just as hard as I did during my first year-- only in different areas. The Mock Trial Team will receive a lot of my time. Frankly, I plan to spend a lot of time socializing as well with organizations such as The Young Lawyers Division. I feel much more relaxed this year, and I will try to find time for more Student Bar Association functions and perhaps intramural sports.

Still, this year will be a workout. Getting up in front of a group and making a presentation is no easy feat for me. The Mock Trial Team will require this, as well as the ability to think on my feet during a cross examination of a witness. Doing well in such venues demands an enormous amount of preparation and energy. I have to be willing to fail, to flop in front of an audience, suffer embarrassment, and then gather myself and go again. A few years ago I could not have handled this. It wasn't until I moved to Las Vegas and became a car salesman that I began to attain the confidence and the skills that I will use as a trial lawyer. But I seriously doubt it will ever be easy for me. There will always be times when I stumble, no matter how much I practice. It stings to stumble. And this year, it will be one challenge after another in the arena.

But I am the man in the arena, now. More than at any other time in my life, I am running my own life. Perhaps a psychologist would say that I am a self actualizing person. And while I understand that chance or fate or whatever could suddenly come down without warning and slam me with a crippling blow or even death, I think that I've latched on to the best way, the best philosophy to navigate this existence.

This year will be quite a workout, but it is the best way for me to go.

***

Write your Congressman, tell him or her your health care story, and ask them to get behind President Obama's health care plan,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: