Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Successful Summer

Yesterday was my last day of work at Parks & Crump, at least for now. I can not thank Attorney Crump and Attorney Parks enough for the experience, and I could not have asked for a better summer.

For the first month, I had a chance to meet a lot of bright and talented undergraduate students from all over the country who are interested in law school while I worked for the Summer For Undergraduates Program. The job also allowed me to meet various attorneys, judges, and justices in town, as well as more professors from the law school. It was a lot of fun. I remember thinking on Memorial Day how neat it was that I was getting paid to play volleyball with the undergrads at Lake Bradford.

That program ended in mid-June, and I immediately picked up with Parks & Crump, LLC as a paid law clerk. The work was intense. On my second day there, I had to write a Motion to Deny a Motion for Summary Judgment. I drafted complaints, researched questions of law for the partners, drafted Motions for Summary Judgment, drafted questions for depositions, attended and assisted with a deposition, a mediation, and a trial. Most nights, I did not get off work until close to 9 pm. I also had to work during some weekends.

The confidence I gained from this work is extremely valuable, though. And the firm also treated me to numerous lunches and dinners at nice restaurants along with trips to New Orleans and San Francisco.

So, to Parks & Crump, I say thank you so very much. I hope I showed my gratitude through my positive attitude and my work ethic.

Now, class begins for my second year of law school on Monday. Away we go.

Last night, I went to the Student Bar Association Orientation Social at Potbelly's, the club across the street from the law school. Last year at this time, I went to that social not knowing anyone. This time when I walked through the door, I was greeted almost immediately by 20 classmates happy to see me. I also met a few 1Ls, and I could tell from the expressions on their faces that they felt the exact same way that I felt last year. . . Glad and fascinated to be here, but wondering exactly what I had gotten myself into and whether or not I would make it.

It was a great time last night, and if last night is any indication of how this year is going to go for me, then it will easily be one of the happiest years of my life.

Now, time to read Evidence for my 8am class on Monday.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: