Monday, March 22, 2010

A Thank You to Our Political Leaders

Last night, the House of Representative passed the Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act.

It appears as though President Obama's health care reform plan is going to become law.

This is a great moment in American History. This Act is the most important piece of domestic legislation to pass Congress in my lifetime. In my humble opinion, our leaders who drafted it and passed it have put forth one of the most courageous efforts in the annals of American politics.

I thank Representative Allen Boyd of the 2nd District of Florida for his vote.

I thank Senator Bill Nelson of Florida for his vote in December and for his efforts in the push.

I thank House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for their tireless efforts against incredible odds to make this change happen.

Most of all, I thank President Barrack Obama. He promised this sort of change in his campaign in 2008. To use his own words from this morning: "This is what change looks like."

This is a victory for all Americans. It is a huge step toward giving affordable health care access to all citizens. Because of this legislation, we may one day soon be able say that no one dies in America because they can not afford health care, and no one goes broke in America just because they get sick.

To the leaders mentioned above, you have certainly earned my support for the next election. Most probably, you have earned my support for the rest of your political careers.

Thank you.

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: