Sunday, March 28, 2010

When Fla. Stat. Annotated Becomes Blurry

Yesterday, the weather was fantastic, with a high near 80 degrees and plenty of sunshine. Yet I still managed to force myself into the law school library to study.

Once there, I went to a relatively empty part of the library and sat down close to a cute girl whom I know. She too had lots of school work to get done.

When I study, I have a habit of looking up frequently, just for the purpose of refocusing my eyes. Usually, I look up from my book and simply stare at a far wall or out a window for a few seconds. I did not realize, though, that every time I looked up on this day I was actually staring at the girl. After about 15 minutes of this, she finally looked back at me with a puzzled expression. It immediately dawned on me what I had been doing.

I apologized to her and explained my trick for refocusing my eyes. I also told her that my eyes must subconsciously go to her, as she is much prettier than a wall or what I can see out the windows of the law school library. She smiled when I told her this.

She also told me the same thing happens to her. The book cases in the library have signs that stick out, identifying various collections. She pointed down one of the aisles.

"You see that sign?" she asked.

I did. It read "Fla. Stat. Annotated," which stands for the annotated version of the Florida Statutes.

"When that sign becomes blurry, I know that I've been reading too long," she said.

We continued studying quietly, though now I made a conscious effort not to look at her when I raised my head from my book.

But after another 20 minutes or so, she suddenly closed her laptop computer and announced, "This is too depressing. I've got to get out of here."

It felt a little like a needle going into my chest, that she would think sitting close to me and studying was "depressing," but I quickly recovered. I could not blame her. The weather was gorgeous outside. I did not want to be studying myself.

After she left, I spent another half-hour in the library. I looked out the windows and saw how bright it was outside. I then looked down the aisle at the tag marked "Fla. Stat. Annotated." I imagined that it was beginning to become blurry, and I took that as my excuse to get outside.

I do not regret the decision. After simply walking around the campus for a while, enjoying the warm day, I went with some friends from the law school to the old intramural fields to hit and field some softball. After an hour or so of that, I watched the second half of a women's lacrosse match between FSU and Miami on the fields. The 'Noles trounced the 'Canes, and I got to watch a beautiful sunset during the match.

The view of Tallahassee from the old intramural fields is surprisingly impressive. To the east, you look all the way down St. Augustine Street. The Executive Building where the governor works is clearly visible, including most of the other tall buildings of the city. The setting sun changes the color of these buildings from how they appear during the day.

To the northwest is Doak Campbell football stadium and the baseball stadium. The sun setting behind both of these structures is also a striking image.

To the south is a picturesque postcard of what "The South" looks like in many places: "Bob's Body Shop", a garage garnet and gold in color, sets across from the fields with a huge Seminole logo on the front wall. Behind the body shop and set against the sky is an old grain silo with "USA" painted in red, white and blue on top.

After the sun went down, I walked over to the baseball stadium to catch the last four innings of FSU's game against Maryland, which the Seminoles won 12-5.

Yesterday was a great day to be outside, and I did enjoy being outside for much of it.

Today, though (and after taking time to write this blog), I must remember why I am in law school and focus on getting some studying done.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

1 comment:

Bucky C. said...

Next time that happens, you are to reply, "I hear you. Say, why don't we go grab a bite to eat?" or, "I agree. Hey, what's say we go get a drink?" OK? ;)