Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Good Tired

The Summer for Undergraduates Program maintains a full schedule for the sixty students participating here. Thursday night, we all went to Crenshaw Lanes, the campus bowling alley. I enjoyed a couple of games of black light bowling with the students, and then afterwards went over to Landis Hall to help a group with their project/presentation on criminal law.

In very short order, it was morning again and we were all back at the law school. It amused me to see that a number of students had trouble holding their eyes open during the various presentations of the day. I was a little tired myself, and stood up at the back of the room during one session in order to stay awake.

Saturday morning I slept in, and it felt really terrific. This is a good tired. It is a good tired because there is really no stress involved. I enjoy working with the students, playing games with the students, and listening to very accomplished people come and speak to us about what it takes to be successful in the practice of law.

The fatigue I feel here is dimensions away from the type of fatigue I felt when I worked as a mail carrier in Washington, DC.

The fatigue I feel working with this program is something I would be happy to deal with for the rest of my life. I could do this job indefinitely.

Though the students are tired halfway through this program, I think they are happy to be here, too. Yesterday, we went to the Florida Supreme Court again. Only this time, the students themselves got to play the justices and the lawyers arguing before the court. Many took pictures of themselves in the chief justice's chair or at the podium. It should be an experience they will remember for a long time.

YFM,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: