Friday, July 29, 2011

The Tampa Experience

The Hotel

The exam lasted two days- Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. The test itself was literally 12 hours long, though of course one had to deal with the logistics of getting to Tampa, checking in at the exam site, and getting set for the exam.

During the four and a half hour drive to Tampa, I saw three of my fellow classmates on the road with me. We waved and smiled at each other, and it was a good feeling to know that I was not in this totally alone.

Initially, I booked a room at a Ramada Inn about six miles from the test site, the Tampa Convention Center. As the dates for the exam drew nearer, though, peer pressure got to me.

A number of my friends raised their eyebrows when they heard where I was staying.

"I wouldn't want to take the risk that my car doesn't start in the morning," they said.

"What if you get into a fender bender on the way? Are you going to stay at the scene of the accident and deal with it? Or are you going to take the bar exam?"

"Dude, spend the money and get a closer hotel where you can just get up in the morning and walk to it. The repercussions of missing the exam are huge. Your job offer is contingent on passing this thing, isn't it?"

Even my parents, when I told them I was staying six miles out from the convention center, expressed concern that I would get caught in Tampa traffic and arrive late.

So I succumbed and booked a room at the Hyatt Regency, just a 10 minute walk to the convention center. Almost all of my friends reserved rooms at hotels this close. These hotels like the Hyatt, the Hilton, and the Sheraton were much more expensive, of course. The extra amenities included with the price amused me.

As I was waiting in line to check in, one of the bellhops directed my attention to a cooler filled with water, oranges, lemons and limes.

"Would you care for some infused water while you wait? It's quite delicious."

And when I reached the check-in desk, the clerk asked, "Would you like a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate your stay with us?"

"No thank you," I replied. "I'm here for the bar exam. I won't be doing any drinking."

"At least not until Wednesday night," the clerk said.

"Yes, you're probably right," I responded. Though at that point I did not want to think about Wednesday night.

According to the clerk, about 250 occupants at the hotel were there for the bar exam. I got about four hours of sleep on Monday night. The next morning, beginning at around 6am, about 2,500 of us began to make our way to the convention center...

The Tampa Convention Center

No book bags, eyeglass cases, backpacks, purses, wallets, notes, books, study materials, cellular telephones, beepers, watches, or clocks with audible alarms, calculators, or other electronic devices were allowed in the exam room. Neither were highlighter markers, pencils, pens, headphones, earplugs with wires, diskettes or CDs, hats or baseball caps, foods or liquids.

Security staff searched us with metal detectors. We were allowed to take in one key (either a car key or hotel room key) and some dollar bills for the lunch break.

The 2,500 or so of us filed through the metal detectors into a room the size of two football fields. The exam room was lined with scores of rows of tables. Each table sat two people. Once you came into the room, you could not leave. If you left the room, you would be denied re-entry. Fortunately, there were restrooms and water fountains inside the examination room itself.

Eventually, I found my assigned seat for the 12 hours of testing. A lady far, far away on a stage calmly gave us instructions using a microphone. The room really was an incredible sight. It was an expansive ocean of 2,500 people all quietly concentrating at tables of two each. As the exam began, dozens of proctors circulated throughout the room, carefully watching us.

One test taker a few tables away had the jimmy leg, which caused her shoe to squeak on the floor. Most distracting, however, was the very beautiful woman sitting at the table in front of me. When the test began, she leaned forward. Her shirt raised up from the small of her back. So now, just three or four feet from my face was the top of a turquoise thong with a detailed tattoo situated neatly above it.

But I was able to power through the distractions. I feel like I did the best I could.

Like I said earlier, the bar exam was the most challenging academic experience of my life, and it is taking some time to unwind from it. Since Monday, I have only been able to sleep for three or four hours at a stretch.

A new, exciting change looms this weekend. After three years in Tallahassee, I will move to the Orlando area to start a new job.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: