Saturday, September 27, 2008

Gunner Bingo

Though I am enjoying myself at FSU College of Law, there is a sharper, more callous side to law school that I see, though by no means do I think it is unique to this place.

I learned from one of my fellow students that a game of " Gunner Bingo" is going on in a section different from mine. Evidently, about half the class is either playing it or aware of it. They fashioned bingo cards on their laptops with the names of the students who talk the most in class on the cards. When one of these students speak, they mark off a spot on the card (I've not seen the cards and so I'm not exactly sure how they're set up).

According to a couple of students I spoke with, somebody won the first game this week. The winner called it with perfect timing... One of the talkative students spoke, and the professor said that the information the student referred to was on page 293.

"Bingo!" the winner called. Half the class turned around and smiled or laughed, the other half didn't know what was going on.

I've been told other law schools play this same game...

Also, I learned this week that not everyone is enjoying law school as much as me. I spoke with one female colleague who said she goes home and cries many nights because of the stress. She has lost 10 pounds since school began, and only eats crackers during the day because she feels like she needs to be studying rather than taking too much time to eat. She also said she was considering seeing a doctor to get anti-anxiety medication.

I tried to give her some advice, though I think she just wanted someone to listen to her. I told her that one can study 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in law school if you want. But as for myself, I deliberately stop to go eat a nice meal or go for a run. These are two things I look forward to every day and are essential to maintaining a good mood. Before you go to the doctor, I said, try eating balanced meals and exercising.

I spoke with a 2L about this, and the 2L told me it will get even worse around exams. No one will speak with each other, she said. Last year, some of her classmates threw up before their first exam.

Honestly, I was sort of oblivious to all this until this week. I see people who are as smart and probably smarter than me showing signs of stress, and I guess the anxiety is a little contagious.

I trust that I'm doing things right. Everyone is obsessed with "outlines." They think every course has to have an outline, and most of my professors mention it. I really don't think in terms of outlines, though. I review the cases and try to think of what rules or precedents have been set.

Students have also warned me that I will need to write some of my final exam essays in "IRAC" format, which stands for Issue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion. I think we will go over this later in the semester in Legal Writing and Research I, but if not I'll have to become familiar with it before exams start.

So, my antennae is alert for possible stumbling blocks at law school. The material is becoming more difficult and beginning to pile up, but I know that I am doing the best I can. When exams come, I will be as prepared as I know how to be. So I really don't feel too stressed-- at least right now.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: