Saturday, September 6, 2008

Getting Involved

After two weeks here at FSU College of Law, I've found that there are many organizations which one may join. Thus far, I've only signed up with the Student Bar Association.

More than at any time in school, however, I have to be careful not to overextend myself. It is easy to tell that what I am learning in my classes right now is by far the most important thing. I'm being taught the nuts and bolts of how and why the law works as it does, and it is essential that I master the principles in these classes...

I have a favorite quotation from week two. Again, it comes from my Contracts I professor:

We were discussing a case in class when a student raised his hand and asked a question about some principle of the law of which I was not familiar.

"That's a great question," the professor said, "just not for today. We'll get into that principle next semester."

The student talked a little more about it, and then the professor said something like, "Yeah, I can tell you know a little bit about it, but hold off. It's like karate. If you only know a little bit, then you'll get your butt kicked even worse."

The class broke up laughing...

My brother is here with me right now. He flew into Tallahassee yesterday to watch the football game against Western Carolina University, our Alma Mater. It's good to see him, and he certainly is impressed with the campus and the football stadium.

As always, time is pressing. There are some pages in Civil Procedure that I need to read before the game tonight.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: