Saturday, September 20, 2008

Boasting on FSU

I just finished writing my rough draft of a "closed memo" for Legal Writing and Research I, and thought I'd take a break to post a blog.

It's official-- I'm the only person in my section of about 80 students that does not use a laptop computer in class now. One person made the comment that it just looks more professional to use a computer, but I hope that is not the trend of belief. I like my system just fine, and you won't ever catch me on facebook or checking baseball box scores during class like I've seen some of my colleagues do. My three ring binder never crashes, and I guarantee you I can draw the professor's chart from the whiteboard faster than you can hit the keys to make it look right on your laptop.

It feels good to be a student here. Yesterday was open house for the law school, and I saw some young visitors as I headed down the hallway to the library. They gave me an envious look as if to say, "There's one of them. He's actually a student here. Neat."

While I know where a person graduates should make less difference the longer we practice law, it is nice to be at a school where a lot of people would like to go. I talk to transfer students who came here from other schools that I considered attending. They had to be near the top of their class for FSU to let them in, so I feel fortunate to have gotten in as a 1L. Despite our class size being around 235, we are still small compared to a lot of other schools. One transfer student from Florida Coastal told me that the usual entering class there is over 600.

So, tonight I'll go to the football game and cheer for the Seminoles against Wake Forest. The game should be on ESPN2. After the game, I'll get back to reading for my torts class.

This existence is pretty good.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: