Friday, June 19, 2009

8 O'Clock Shadow

This week, I started my clerkship at Parks & Crump law firm. Mr. Crump told me that it was going to be "Baptism by Fire," and he wasn't joking. The amount of hours that I am working has escalated significantly compared to the job I just finished as a mentor in the Summer for Undergraduates Program. Now, I get into work between 8 and 8:30 am, and usually don't leave until after 8 and 9 pm. I'll be doing some research for the firm this weekend as well.

I'm not complaining. Mr. Crump was very gracious to give me this opportunity. Most students in between their first and second year of law school right now do not have paid clerkships. And there are many students who are in between their second and third year of school (and even some that have graduated) who do not have paid employment and would gladly trade places with me.

Parks & Crump is giving me the chance to learn a lot about tort law and the operation of a plaintiff's law firm. It is a model that I want to understand very well. This firm was established in 1995 by two graduates of Florida State Law. They didn't have much money to begin a firm, but Parks & Crump's steady climb to become one of the most successful personal injury firms in Florida is truly remarkable. So I'm doing my best to imitate a sponge and soak in everything I see and hear. Working long hours is just an understood necessity for success.

After 8 pm one night earlier this week, I went to the office bathroom to wash my hands and face. I was dressed in a full suit. As I wiped my face with a paper towel and looked in the mirror, I thought, "Man, I need to shave."

In fact, I had shaved that morning before coming to work. I'd never had a problem with 5 o'clock shadow- but I guess 8 o'clock is a different story.

I suppose my facial hair has been growing like this for a while, but it is the first time in my life that I noted it. A quote from Hyman Roth in The Godfather, Part II also flashed through my mind as I looked at myself in the mirror and realized I had been at the office and in a suit for over 12 hours straight... "This is the business we've chosen."

But I'm not working any more than what the partners of the firm did and do. And I've seen the alternatives. There were times in my life when I was carrying mail for 12 hours a day in Washington, DC. Office work is a piece of cake compared to that, and I'm lucky and happy to be at Parks & Crump employed as a law clerk.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: