Saturday, June 27, 2009

In the Groove

Like a distance runner gradually building up stamina, I'm beginning to get used to the long hours at the firm. Friday, they let me go at 6:30 pm and it felt a little weird- like I didn't know what to do with myself. As long as I get time to go for my jogs, have two meals a day where I'm not rushed to eat, have an hour after work to just unwind, and then get about 7 hours sleep, I'm good to keep going. Some days at the firm, it's pushing my time to have all of that. But most days, I can pull it off on schedule and stay in the groove. The most stress comes when I have an extra personal errand that has to be done during the day. It can throw off my whole schedule. Such details of life are inevitable, though, and I'm trying to get better at dealing with that stress when the situation arises.

Some reading this blog entry might think that this is not the life for them. They may be right. It is not easy. Spending time with a family would be challenging on this schedule. You just have to evaluate what you want out of life and what your value system is.

As for me, I like where I am at and the work that I am doing. The partners, attorneys and staff have all been very generous and supportive. I want to do good work for them and make a legitimate contribution to the firm's success. The founding partner, Mr. Crump, did me a tremendous favor by reaching out and hiring me for the summer. This is a great opportunity. I'm just trying to show my appreciation and that he did not make a mistake in bringing me on board.

When I tell other law school students where I am at and what I am doing for the summer, you can see the wheels turning in their heads and the jealousy in their eyes. They would trade places with me in a second. This firm has a great reputation in the community, and the people here work hard and play hard. I'm in a good place.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: