Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thinking Like a... Lawyer?

My second semester of law school is off and running. It feels a little different than the first one. All of us have our grades now and know how we stack up- at least for round one. There isn't much time to dwell on our grades, though, and the work is coming fast and furious again.

Things are a bit sad. One of my favorite students from last semester, a highly intelligent and beautiful woman, decided she was not coming back to FSU College of Law. I hate to see her name on the daily attendance sheet with the blank space beside it, but she had good reasons for choosing a different career. Otherwise, attrition from the first semester is low. I believe only one or two other people from my section of over 80 students did not return. Not many people want to drop out of a good law school in this economy, I guess.

Before law school began in August, several people told me that it would change the way I see the world. I wonder if what I am feeling now is what they meant...

I feel sort of blank. The academic subjects are enjoyable, but there is just so much to learn that stopping to become passionate about a certain topic or thinking about how I "feel" about it requires too much time and energy. I'm focused on learning the concepts presented as they come at me, one right after another.

Is this how a lawyer is supposed to feel, think and function? It's not bad, I guess. Perhaps it makes me more rational and objective. Perhaps I am better suited to seeing multiple sides of arguments.

Or maybe the "blank" feeling is just a version of being tired. But on this cold January morning, I'd much rather be at law school at 7:30 am than reporting to some of the other jobs I've held.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

1 comment:

Devoted to... said...

I can't help but wonder... do you think that "blank" feeling that you describe might be the makings of a defense attorney? I've always wondered how they could focus on the facts and not feel the emotion, but maybe law school prepares you for that possibility.