Friday, May 29, 2009

Officially a 2L

Now, I finally feel like a second year law school student. My last remaining grade posted today. Overall, I am pleased with my performance this semester. I tried new strategies toward taking the exams this time around. My performance this semester was better than in the fall, and I should move up a bit in the class rankings. I'm in no danger of failing out of law school and actually just narrowly missed making the Dean's List this semester. Law school is working out so far.

I am also fortunate in the two summer jobs that I have landed. For the first month, I am working as a mentor in the Summer for Undergraduates Program at FSU College of Law. 61 very bright undergrads from all across the country are here for four weeks to learn about law school and Florida State in particular. Being a mentor is easy. I get paid to talk positively about my experiences here- something that I would gladly do anyway. The undergraduate students are also very positive and ask many questions. Prominent attorneys, the Florida Supreme Court Justices, and the Mayor of Tallahassee are among those with whom the students have talked.

After the Summer for Undergraduates job ends in mid June, I begin working for Parks & Crump, a very successful personal injury firm here in Tallahassee. The partner who hired me, Mr. Crump, actually spoke at the Summer for Undergraduates Program a few days ago. He was highly entertaining and the students told me how much they appreciated his stories.

Though I have worked hard to put myself in a good position, I also realize how fortunate I am to have landed a summer job with such a successful and influential law firm, especially in this economic climate. Parks & Crump give a lot back to the community. I hope that I can catch on quickly and be productive for them both in their case activity and their community involvement.

Universal Health Care Now,

Nathan Marshburn

No comments: