Monday, May 11, 2009

Option 1

In the spring of 2008, I was struggling with the decision to either go to law school or stay at Western Carolina University and finish my M.A. in History. I leaned toward entering law school, though it was still open as to what law school I would attend.

As I have said in previous blogs, last year at WCU was the happiest year of my life. I remember thinking that I had come to one of the more important forks for which path my life would take, and I remember thinking that it would be neat if I could clone myself and send the clones down the different paths I was considering. We'd meet up again at the age of 65 or 70 and compare notes.

Hopefully, that doesn't sound too arrogant. Arnold Schwarzenegger once said something similar about desiring to clone himself to see all the things he could accomplish. He certainly has had a fascinating life, reaching the pinnacle in the professions of body building, movie acting, and politics. But Joy Behar, one of the hosts of The View, criticized him, saying his idea of cloning himself was arrogant and narcissistic. I don't want to come off as arrogant or narcissistic.

Still it is fun to think about the options I was considering. I decided to go to law school and attend Florida State University. I have never regretted that decision, and I am pleased with the success I have seen thus far.

Option 2 was to enroll at North Carolina Central University School of Law. If I had gone there, I would have focused on a career in public service and fighting for the underdog. I think that would have been a very satisfying choice as well. I would have stayed in North Carolina rather than Florida, most likely trying to land a spot in the public defender's office in Asheville or Jackson County (where WCU is located). I'd spend my weekends walking in the mountains, identifying the various plants and animals. The Appalachian Mountains are as botanically diverse as the Amazon Rain forest, and they change so much with each season. I'd never get tired of it.

Option 3 was to finish my M.A. in History and pursue a career in college administration. I think I would be a great recruitment officer for a college. I love traveling and talking with people, and I love the college environment. My game plan would be to work at different universities for a few years at a time, gradually moving west until I could land a spot at UNLV and live in Las Vegas for the remainder of my years. Vegas is my all time favorite city, and I love the desert. The chance to work at different universities across the country would make for an interesting life as well.

Option 4 was to finish my M.A. in History and then try to earn a Ph.D with the goal of becoming a college professor. This would have been a difficult path, I think. Ph.D programs in history are harder to gain entry to than law school. The jobs for professors are scarce, the time I would have spent in school would have been longer, and the pay is not that great. The option 4 clone might have bailed out of that lifestyle and hitched on to law school again.

Anyway, Tallahassee and FSU College of Law is where I am. Florida is probably where I'll set up and practice. I think it will be a happy life. If I had the choice to make all over again, I would choose this option. I am a lucky man.

Until Next Time,

Nathan Marshburn

1 comment:

Bucky C. said...

Nothing wrong with being happy with one's choices, friend! :)